Baby v. Bebe

While reading Pamela Druckerman's book, Bringing Up Bebe, I suddenly feel a weight lifted off my shoulders.  Felt the need to share. 

As I embark on a new journey to return to work outside of the home, I have begun feeling guilty that I was leaving Boone, as if devoting my entire life to my son is the way it should be. Turns out, that is an incredibly Western and almost strictly American middle-class social pressure (along with the incessant need to speed up our kids' development, but I digress).  

After reading this book, I've realized how important it is to keep a balance, to keep precious time with Boone but also keep my career moving forward. After all, when he is grown and gone, if I've lost myself in my child, who will I be at that point?  I shouldn't feel guilty for working and helping to provide for my family. My child needs to experience time away from the home and time with other children, just as I need (and deserve) time away and adult conversation. 

I think all mommies should read this book, if only to get a glimpse of what lies beyond our society's crazy, over attentive and interfering parenting philosophies.  You don't have to be enslaved to your child, ladies; in fact, they deserve a mommy who is happy because she takes time for herself and never loses sight of who she is and was pre-parenthood. 

Popular Posts