Dietrich's Before Story

In March 2015, Brent and I had attended a night of prophetic word at our church, and each received a very specific word from those speaking and praying over us.  At the time, I was really struggling with being a working mother of 2 children, one of whom was a sworn enemy of sleep. It had gotten so rough that I was seriously considering attending counseling sessions for fear I was fast approaching some form of depression. God spoke to me that night and told me “you are a good mom,” which was all my soul really needed to experience a turnaround and healing.  That evening, however, God spoke something over me that was incredibly cryptic.

“ I saw a swing, and it was empty; and then I saw a swingset, and there was a child in it, and someone pushing it. So He said there’s no interpretation, but that it would mean something to you.”

Ooooook. Her words made no sense at the time, but I decided to put her words on a shelf for future reference.

Fast forward to October 2016…

My cycles had been somewhat irregular, and I had begun seeking methods to regulate them: teas, supplements, etc. On October 6th, I was on the 30th day of my cycle, the longest to date in my series of irregular cycles, and thought I may need to seek a medical opinion; BUT before I did, I decided to take a pregnancy test. On October 7th upon arriving home from work, those 2 little lines showed up on my store brand pregnancy test. 

What a shock. I was finished having kids and my busy career and already hectic life left no room for another child to care for. How could I let this happen? After a short cry, I decided to go outside to see my family – remember, I had just gotten home from work. 

You know those scenes in the movies where one of the characters experiences an epiphany, a revelation, and the camera zooms into to their wide-eyed and shocked expression?  Let me help you out.


THAT is what I experienced when I walked in my backyard on that beautiful October evening.  Giggling and smiling with joy were my 2 perfect children being pushed in swings by their father, and just to their left was one empty swing.

God met me right there, and the prophetic word that I had put on a shelf came rushing back with a reminder from my Heavenly Father… “that is what the empty swing was for.” 


Now that my little surprise is here, I couldn’t imagine life without him; and although life can be incredibly hectic and stressful with 3 kids, a full-time job, and Brent’s start-up business, I know that God has calling me to experience greater things and become more in my life than I ever thought possible. He is so faithful, even when we feel like what we wanted is ripped from under us. Because while we aren’t getting what we think we wanted in the short run, He knows exactly for we need for the long run.

Popular Posts