Brent's Conquest for a New Career

3 years ago, if you told me that I was going to be married to a firefighter, I probably would have told you that you had lost your mind... Brent was going to be a Physical Therapist, didn't ya know?  But now, I pray every night that this works out for him and I can't wait to be a firefighter wife!

Most people know this already, but Brent has been working his little tail off to get into firefighting. About a year ago, God put it on his heart that this was what he was supposed to do and his passion to do it has continued to grow over the past year. 

This firefighting thing is tough though... not only is it extremely competitive, in that SO many people want to be firefighters, it is quite possibly the longest hiring process I've ever seen.... and I'm in HR!  The usual process, which can take SEVERAL months, is as follows:
  1. Written Civil Service Exam
  2. Physical Ability Test and Run
  3. Background Check
  4. Psyc Review / Polygraph Testing
  5. Interview
  6. Physical Exam/Ladder Climb
Brent took the civil service exam with a couple hundred in Irving, TX, about 350 in Mesquite, TX, and with around 2,500 in Fort Worth.  He made a perfect score on the Fort Worth civil service exam and is moving forward in the process. 

Brent has been in Fort Worth for the past few weekends for more testing (steps 2 and 3), and goes back again on the 11th of August to meet with the background check investigator. 

He has taken so much time to prepare for ALL of the steps of this process. He has bought at least 1 book for each section and has spent countless hours reading and studying.  I can't say I've ever been that committed to finding a new job.

We are, I mean, he is also testing with San Antonio's Fire Department mid September.  I hope one of these pans out for him.  He is so passionate about it all, so even if they do not, I know he won't give up the fight. 

God has a plan for Brent, a plan for us, and God provides.  Please keep Brent in your prayers!

Popular Posts